× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Mama Mia! needs another coat

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #28097 by Terrydi
Mama Mia! needs another coat was created by Terrydi
Getting ready to put fresh gel coat on the upper deck and also want to recoat the black whaling stripe.

With the help of King Oscar we pulled the cabin top off and hauled it to a storage unit. Mary wouldn’t let me put it on the dining room table and I didn’t want leave it outside and risk it ending up in Lake Michigan when the tornados come through here again.

Made room in the garage for spraying and next step is to get to sanding.

My goal is to have her floating for our Famous Freddies show on July 11th.

Question:

Has anyone removed the rub rail aluminum extrusion on a Sedan?

It has these little pins or rivets through the hull and into the deck. Thinking as I remove it might have to use temporary fasteners and then put it back on using pop rivets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago #28098 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Hello George,

I tried emailing you but it would not go so I sent you message here.

Thanks,
Terry

More
4 years 8 months ago #28099 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Hi Terry,

Usually those messages are sent to my home email through the site. Haven't received anything. If you'd like to email me directly, my email is noted below.

George
five dot bells at comcast dot net

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #28100 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Thanks George, I sent it again to at Comcast.

Those fasteners are simply old school pop rivets. There is a bunch at every eight inches and most pull out with pliers but probably a couple dozen are fighting me. But they are no match for the Matabo and an 1/8 drill bit.

Got the bow piece off but still have more rivets to grind out. Using #6/32 machine screws to hold it together.

Shipped off the last parts for chrome with guaranteed 6 week delivery so on still on schedule for Famous Freddies.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #28101 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Got it Terry, and response coming!

Sorry for the confusion. We changed our internet provider a while ago from Verizon to Comcast. Not happy with the cost, but considerably faster connection.

I happened to call Eddie Grijalva yesterday, and as part of the conversation, Eddie brought up his recollection of riveting the rub rail. He explained it was done with a special pneumatic gun rather than a normal hand riveter, because of the fat headed rivets used. He also pointed out that there was no real rhyme or reason on the spacing of these rivets, since initial rivets were placed to just hold the two pieces being joined then additional rivets were installed later during the assembly process. He remembered that there were many times you might actually overlap were other rivets had already been placed. :laugh: I told him that was confirmed when we had removed the bow top from the SOS G-3. There was probably a gazillion rivets and small bolts that had to be removed with no discernible hole placement pattern.

Eddie can correct me here if I had misquoted him.

Funny how "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Assuming those are the before pics of your hardware being sent for chrome. I would be very happy if our hardware looked that good now. :blush:

George

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago #28103 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
George, you are correct, all is well, it was sure nice talking with you, take care my Amigo :>)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds