× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Cracked aluminum handle

• MikeM
  • MikeM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
5 years 9 months ago #27730 by MikeM
Cracked aluminum handle was created by MikeM
Cracked aluminum handle

Hi, I am looking for advice. I have a 59 Seafair Sedan with a cracked aluminum handle, next to the cabin door, Does anyone know of a good way to repair this…I am assuming I will not be able to find replacement parts.

Thanks!

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #27734 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Cracked aluminum handle
Mike,

I'm assuming finding one of those handles might be pretty difficult unless you find someone parting out their boat. :(

Do you have a machine shop around that does aluminum welding?

George

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #27738 by Garyfulcher
Replied by Garyfulcher on topic Cracked aluminum handle
Mike,

Do you have a photo of what you need? I'm restoring a 63 Sedan and will not be using the handles that cam with my boat.

Gary

• MikeM
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
5 years 9 months ago #27757 by MikeM
Replied by MikeM on topic Cracked aluminum handle
Gary I will get back to you next week with a photo. Thank you! I have my boat stored down at the Oregon Coast and will not get down there until next week. Of course I have other pictures of Old blue on the Owners Webpage..

Mike

• MikeM
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
5 years 8 months ago #27768 by MikeM
Replied by MikeM on topic Cracked aluminum handle
Hi Gary:

If you have an extra handle that would fit a 59 Seafair Sedan I would like to purchase it from you. Please see the attached photo of my broken handle, you may need to zoom in on this to get a good picture.

Thanks,

Mike
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #28003 by GeorgeFurtsch
Replied by GeorgeFurtsch on topic Cracked aluminum handle

Hello, I don't get on here to share as often as I should, but when I see something I can help with I have to chime in. I had a cracked handle on the port side on my 1959 Seafair. When I joined up with GOA I had just gotten back from a Sac. Delta trip. My brother noticed the upright support on the port side cabin doorway was actually moving up and down in the chop. This is where the handle was attached. The actual reason the handle cracked was from this flex. I'm not saying this is what cracked yours, just my experience.I pulled the floor with the help from GOA and fixed the issue, and much more!In these photos you can see what stringer is attached to that upright support. In my case it was bolted to the stringer but all the wood from the floor down was dry rotted.And I mean all wood, stringers,crossmembers,bulkheads. I don't mean to alarm you I ran that way many years until I found GOA, I had no Idea! I made runs to 20 miles out in the Pacific loaded with family and friends.It is really a testament to just how well these boats were built.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds