× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon evinrude Ski Twin 33 connection to ride guide cabl

• Bspyres
  • Bspyres's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
3 years 1 week ago #27669 by Bspyres
Bspyres created the topic: evinrude Ski Twin 33 connection to ride guide cabl
Hi Gang

I am not sure what the best way to handle forum posts is, should i do new topics for each question? or just keep asking questions on my lido project post? i figured new questions per topic might make it a bit more searcher friendly??

I have a 68 Evinrude Ski Twin 33 i am hoping to put on My Sport Lido.. the Lido has Ride Guide cable steering i know typically the ram section of the cable goes through the motor pivot which keeps it rigid and there is a "Z" connecting link between the two. this ride guide cable has a piviting end and im not sure where to go because a Z link cant be used. does anyone have a photo or info of how this type of cable system is typically connected??

Thanks
Barry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #27674 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: evinrude Ski Twin 33 connection to ride guide cabl
Barry,

To answer your first question: There's no right or wrong way on your posts. Some folks prefer to just keep the one thread going that covers your whole restoration. Allows you to see all of the progress your making, which can be nice (and helps keep you motivated). Others prefer the single posts, allowing (as you point out) easier searches on that particular subject. Your choice. :)

The Ride-Guide steering is normally installed on Mercury outboards, but I have seen various ways to adapt it to an OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) motor. On a Mercury, the steering end goes through the fixed steering tube then uses a steering arm that connects to the motor to accomplish the desired steering movement. On your set-up, it looks like someone attempted to adapt this, and I'd say if it works...use it.

You might try doing a Google search to help with ways to adapt your set-up. I've attached a link to a document that might help clarify the basics:

1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Service%20...roke/817643r1/7a.pdf

George

• Bspyres
  • Bspyres's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
3 years 1 week ago #27678 by Bspyres
Bspyres replied the topic: evinrude Ski Twin 33 connection to ride guide cabl
Thanks for the link george. lots of good info in there..

I am confused by two things on this..

1. The little rubber mounted bracket eyebolt pivot part seems like a transom mount type steering setup but the long rod that comes off the pivot point looks like it went through a engine pivot but then the whole setup would be too long to connect to the engine.

2. the cable is routed down the right side of the boat but steering is reversed?? when i turn wheel to the right, the cable retracts which would pull the front of the engine starboard turning the boat to port?

I can fab some bracketry make a loop in the cable and figure out a way to make it work. i figured half the lidos out there would have a similar steering setup and someone would have a photo.. so i could set it up how it was originally intended.

was the steering system used a seat of the pants option?? i guess maybe depending on motor selection. some are cable and pulley some are single cable. where or why were different types used?? should i just go to a cable and pulley system?? im sure as soon as i get this going ill have a cable failure and be stuck with a discontinued cable. the photos of bretts sport lido has cable and drum steering. but no pulleys at the motor when are motor pulleys required, over a certain horsepower? or just for feel to change the ratio?

sorry for all the questions
Thanks for the great help

Barry

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #29691 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: evinrude Ski Twin 33 connection to ride guide cabl
I'll bet the long rod went back the other way to the sidewall of the transom well ...

I have a "steering tube" adapter for clamp on motors if it's needed?

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com