× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #29350 by AyeAyeCapn
AyeAyeCapn replied the topic: Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Thought I posted this 30 minutes ago. If this is a dupe I'll delete one of them.

Rebuild done, and a huge OH OHH when dropping in the motorwell. Rebuild was done with4 layers of 3/8" marine plywood, epoxied to outer skin, and between layers. Last 2 layers included SS screws. I apparently ignored the original radius of the transom, and when done, the motorwell "lip" and area below the lip are flush at the center-line, but 1/2-3/4" inboard from the transom. It can't be strong-armed to fit. I have a few options, looking for more: 1) Precisely grind the middle of the transom to make the ends more flush, 2) butcher the motorwell and attempt to patch it where it would have to be cut (ouch), 3) build a new wooden motor well that will do the intended job (but will look hokey), or, 4) Forget the motorwell altogether. The new transom is bulletproof, and I'm leaning to a careful grind to so the motorwell will slip into place and flush with the transom, but I'm concerned about weakening the transom. I'm looking for some experienced wisdom from the members. (the outer skin of the FRP was just a skin, not 1/4" or anything like that - it "relaxed" to a flatter radius when the old wood was cut out). Thanks for your wisdom! A few pics can be seen of the condition here: www.flickr.com/photos/136014366@N06/with/22940801792/ (tried to upload images but didn't show up when it posted)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #29351 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Steve,

Yeah fiberglass is very flexible and will move around once the wood reinforcing it is removed.

I think you should leave the transom as it is if possible and modify the motor well to fit.

You should be able to extend the flange with fiberglass where it fits over the transom.
Be sure the motor clamp fits over the new depth. And also the well needs to fit tight against the transom in the center where the motor clamps.

Terry

• AyeAyeCapn
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 4 months ago #29355 by AyeAyeCapn
Thanlks for your input, Terrydi. Re removing wood - I was only thinking about removing a max of maybe 1/2" + in the middle, radiussed toward the sides to draw the motorwell in further outward across the beam. It's 1-1/4" + thick now, and the wood removal would be from the center and 1/3rd out towards the sides, full thickness from about 1/3rd out from the center to the sides.. A radiused grind, not a sharp cut/removal.

I'd prefer modifying the motor well. It fits flush at the center-line now, it just gradually sweeps inboard from the inside of the transom towards the sides the further you get from the center. Other concern is I'd NEVER get paint to match the surrounding red plastic surface, so I'd have to paint the motorwell as close as possible to the hull so it doesn't look like it was painted by Ray Charles. Thanks again!

More
1 year 4 months ago #29358 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Steve,

It sounds like you did a proper job fabricating the new transom.

I believe grinding it out now as you describe will compromise the integrity and strength of the transom.

You should be able to get a close match on the paint for the motor well from automotive paint supplier.

Terry

• AyeAyeCapn
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 4 months ago #29359 by AyeAyeCapn
Yes, close match is possible, but sometimes different is better than close. I'll probably go with a hull match.

Think the plan will be to 1) add a inner "lip" to the transom so the motor well sits on the lip in the radius similar to original (MUCH will still be on the new transom, just need support on the outer 1/3 each side), and, 2) move the side braces forward to accept the new front position. Will fabricate the "lip" with quality 1" (thick) x 1-1/2 to 2" vertical and epoxy and SS crew to the new transom. As is, the motor well is flush at the center-line of the transom, and the bolt centers for motor mouting are very close to the center-line, will shim (large SS washers) between motor well and transom if necessary. Thanks for you input!

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com