× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #27490 by AyeAyeCapn
Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon was created by AyeAyeCapn
Bought the boat just a week or so and got it home yesterday. Knew the problem described - the transom has some flex (70HP 1974 Johnson mounted). I plan to reinforce this before heading out on the water. Have thought of "glassing up" on the inside and adding a few buttresses, or with a 1/2" or 3/4" marine plywood insert made from a template and bonding to the transom on the inside, but, there's a gentle sweep to the transom, so the plywood insert would have a gap to fill, bigger on the centerline. Lots of options available, but has anyone taken on this task, how did you do it, and did it work? Access is great - short (2 foot?) pan from top of ransom and forward is removable. Thanks for the great forum - look forward to being here!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago #27494 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Haven't done the transom work, but wanted to welcome you to the site!

George

More
6 years 1 week ago #27496 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

AyeAyeCapn wrote: Have thought of "glassing up" on the inside and adding a few buttresses, or with a 1/2" or 3/4" marine plywood insert made from a template and bonding to the transom on the inside ...

Welcome,

Yes, the process you described is what I did to strengthen the transom on my Seafair Sunliner. You will need to remove the splashwell for full access but gluing a piece of marine plywood to the inside of the transom works well. Adding "knees" to connect the transom to the floor or stringers is a good idea too. Note: the existing transom must be free of dry rot. If there is some "flex" you need to find out why. Any rotten spots should be cut out and replaced with good wood. :unsure:

I used 5/8" marine ply glued with an epoxy plus wood flour filler mix. As for the curve, I think you can see the gentle curve in this "after" picture. I did not try to fill the gap; instead, I pulled the ply into the curve of the existing transom with clamps (at the top) and a few screws at the bottom. The 5/8" bent just fine over the span of the Seafair. Whatever ply thickness you choose, I suggest a trial fit before you apply epoxy to see if you can fully bend the ply to the transom. If not, a thinner plywood would be better.

Good luck, :)

-JR
Attachments:

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
6 years 1 week ago #27497 by AyeAyeCapn
Replied by AyeAyeCapn on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Thanks a million for the technique and encouragement, Jayarrgh! Thanks for the term "splashwell" too - it's embarrassing referring to "the plastic thingy." Glad to hear 5/8" could be drawn up close. You tips are valuable.

Did you do any glassing on the inside of the transom before the plywood, or just add the ply? I'm presuming you screwed from the outside of the transom into the ply?

Looks like you did a great job and I really appreciate the advice! Thanks!

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
6 years 1 week ago #27499 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Working for The Glasspar Boat Company, it was called a MOTORWELL.

More
6 years 1 week ago #27500 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Thanks Eddy, yep "Motorwell" sounds good to me too.

AyeAyeCapn, Adding fiberglass cloth the to inside of the transom before glueing plywood over it won't add much to the stiffness. FG cloth is best for abrasion resistance and connecting joints in tension. The few SS screws I used on the transom were installed only on the inside into the existing wood.

-JR

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds