× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

More
4 years 10 months ago #26843 by AlandSandy
Replied by AlandSandy on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
ianmoore, Welcome to the crew. From the pictures you have a 59 or early 60 based on the motor splash well, and the helm which were used only in 59 and 60. The serial number as Terry stated would tell you the year your boat was built. Actually it is fairly good shape even if it may not look like it. The hornets nest of wiring is typical Johnson/Evinrude of that era. A fifty hp motor is small for that boat. Most that vintage used 75 hp motors. You will get a lot of hp recommendations but for me 85 and 90 hp Merc or John/rude is desirable. I have run higher and don't need the speed. If you plan on using it a lot I would recommend a newer motor. I have fought too many old motors trying to stay afloat.

Al and Sandy Wilson
Marque Club Representative ACBS
Glasspar g3 Owners Club
www.g3owners.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #27440 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Pardon the enormously long pause....
Winter took over and boat was on back seat, but now working on it again.

If you guys will humor me, will you tell me if I firstly have my switch wiring correct?:
I have a magneto switch with a push in choke. I have my battery hooked up to 'B', solenoid hooked up to 'S', choke solenoid hooked up to 'C', my Magneto hooked up to 'M', with Magneto ground hooked up to the screw terminal 'M'. I don't have anything hooked up to the 'I' terminal, which seems to act almost like an accessory, where it connect to battery when switch is just turned to 'On'. Sorry for the ignorance, but what is this used for? Or do i have something incorrectly hooked up? I tried to follow the schematics i could find for a similar Magneto start engine..I have included the schematic i followed

I have a safety switch, which seems to be operating correctly.

I got a "new" salvaged magneto and generator which are now connected.

So far we have been able to get get the motor to crank, but not to combust. We have new spark plugs(Autolite 353, which cross ref to the J4C). I will replace the spark plug wires, but for now they seem ok

We don't have the fuel line, still missing some parts, but tried to see if we could get it going with 24:1 gas and some Sea Foam. No luck yet.

Any tips on next steps? I do have a decent Clymer manual, and plan on getting further into the engine setup once we know we have a good starting place.

Thanks for all the help!
Ian

btw, where do i find the serial #? I will post it once i find it

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #27441 by ianmoore
here is the image
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #27442 by ianmoore
I figured out the ignition switch. Its the option to ground, ALA kill switch.
would still love any ideas on next steps!

More
4 years 1 month ago #27443 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian, I have experience with Evinrude/Johnson engines from the 1950s to the 1990s. When they are good, they are very good but when they are bad .. well you know. I still have two of them in my yard. A 1984 35hp I bought just 3 years ago sits as a reminder of what can go wrong with old engines. I spent months doing just what you are doing to get it running. I even paid for professional help which did result in it working for awhile. The expert's candid advice was "Like horses, sometimes it is better to just shoot them and get a new one". I persisted anyway and I did get to use it ... once. Second time out, it failed in a way that is not repairable for any reasonable amount of money. So I ended up doing just what the expert said, I bought a new engine (Honda).

You probably don't want to hear this advice, I didn't when I heard it. But like Al and Sandy, I am going to recommend a new engine. :ohmy: Sorry about that.

-JR

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #27444 by ianmoore
JR,
I really appreciate the info, and it's not disappointing to me.
I love to learn! I'm a musician who took up electronics and now makes really cool stuff for my studio. There was a point when i literally didn't know how to change a lightbulb!
I am loving the learning on fundamental engine stuff, which i didn't know going into this. I am going slow, so if the motor really is a dog in terms of components i will quickly scrap it.

I am interested in getting a new motor. I don't have a ton of money. I would love any suggestions as to good directions to go towards.

My hope with this boat was to get it into the water this summer, even if only a couple of times. I planned on taking the knowledge i learned through the process and buying a newer outboard over the winter, and then doing any repairs so that it was good by next summer.

Thanks so much for the advice
Ian

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds