× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 7 months ago #27445 by ianmoore
ianmoore replied the topic: 59 seafair sedan questions
Can someone check my switch wiring?
As i said in the earlier post, I have battery to 'B', Solenoid to 'S', one of the magneto wires(the one that attaches to the points) connected to 'M', and then the other 'M', which is a screw, attaches to the engine harness. Choke solenoid is connected to 'C', and nothing is currently connected to the I(ignition).

When i check the switch with the ohm meter, i see that the two 'M's' are grounded in the off position, that the battery and solenoid connect in the 'start' position, and that the 'I' connects to I in the start position.

We are able to turn the engine over, but not getting any spark at the plugs. I checked the magneto coil and it looks good. The primary is around 1 ohm, and the secondary is around 3-4k ohm. That seems like a working coil to me. The points look good as well. We have new plugs and wires from the coil to the engine.

This leads me to believe that we have something wrong in the wiring of the magneto. I guess i'm still a bit fuzzy about how it works. Should i be seeing 12v at the input post of the Magneto( going to the points? Should my 'M' terminal be hooked up to something other that the way i have it?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Would be good to get a spark
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #27446 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian, at the risk of leading you astray, I believe you have the switch hooked up correctly. Basically, magneto type engines are very simple. All the switch does is prevent the engine from starting by grounding the magneto input. In the "on" position, the magneto is ungrounded and should produce a spark whenever the motor turns over. So without a ground on the M lead, the engine can start anytime you spin the flywheel. There should also be a thermo switch connected to the magneto (I think so even in 1959) that will stop the motor if it overheats. You might try disconnecting that lead if you can find it. :unsure:

In the ungrounded position, I think there should be 12V at the mag input which is cycled on/off by the points opening and closing when the flywheel turns. The mag should then output a high voltage for the spark. Both the starter solenoid and the choke solenoid are separate circuits that do their function and then should drop out of the circuit when you release them.

Good luck,

-JR

On second thought, you may not see 12v at the coil input. The charge from the capacitor when the points close should quickly go through the coil to ground (only 1 ohm after all). You said you replaced the magneto? Perhaps check to see it is well grounded to the block to complete the input/output circuit.

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 7 months ago #27449 by ianmoore
Thankyou for the tips!
I have the ignition system working. Spark, magneto coil good. I am using the Autolite 353 plugs, which is supposed to be a direct replacement for the J4C.
Starting working on the fuel system, but am waiting on a replacement fuel bulb. I'm next to see what kind of shape the fuel pump is in. I will keep you guys posted
Ian

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 7 months ago #27450 by ianmoore
I would love any tips regarding somewhat inexpensive upgrades/refurbs. I know this begs all kinds of jokes about money flying away, but I don't have the cash to restore the boat to the glory of some of these beauties. I would love to do what i can. I am going to sand and restore all of the mahogany that is on the boat. I'd like to replace the two board that run along the inside of the hull. Right now there is some type of ply in there that is pretty funky. It seems that this originally was some type of mahogany as well. What are people using for this?

I think i have located a windshield, and hopefully some seats, at least for the time being.

The hull and transom seem to be in decent shape. I'm sure they could stand to be rebuilt, but they both seem pretty sturdy

Can anyone direct me to some info on how to refurbish the metal hardware?

Many thanks!
Ian

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #27456 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: 59 seafair sedan questions

ianmoore wrote: 1) I would love any tips regarding somewhat inexpensive upgrades/refurbs.... I'd like to replace the two board that run along the inside of the hull. Right now there is some type of ply in there that is pretty funky. 2) It seems that this originally was some type of mahogany as well. What are people using for this?

3) The hull and transom seem to be in decent shape. I'm sure they could stand to be rebuilt, but they both seem pretty sturdy

4) Can anyone direct me to some info on how to refurbish the metal hardware?

Many thanks!
Ian

Ian,

1) A very simple upgrade is to get a piece of plywood and cushion to use as a filler in the cabin area. Converts your cabin into a full sleeping area. Not sure I like this, but have seen it many times. I've often wondered how to build up a fold-away table in the cabin.

On our 1965 Sedan, I had some brackets made allowing the cockpit seats to fold down when not in use. This really isn't a upgrade since the original seat design was like this. This is nice since the Sedan cockpit area is relatively small and affords more space when sitting is not desired. Most of the time I stand when piloting the boat. I've attached a couple of pictures, so you can see what I'm describing. I do have some fully dimensioned photo's if you'd like.

We also built a rear bench seat. It seemed to work better for us when the kids were young.

A few years back, there was a gentleman from Canada that totally upgrade his DelMar that he was restoring. He did a great job and much more modern design. I'll try to find some pics and post them.

2) Those boards are Philippine Mahogany. Very pricey to replace, and hard to find from lumber yards. We were lucky with our Sedan, that all the original wood was salvageable.

3) On checking your transom, see the post I just made on the 1959 Trident thread. A "tap test" is a good method to check integrity.

4) On refurbishing the metal, a simple Google search will give you lots of instruction for polishing aluminum castings. When we did my son's G-3, we just sanded, steel wooled, and used a product called "Flitz Metal Polish". Great product, but not nearly as nice as buffing with a grinder, and kind of pricey.

Hope this helps.

George
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 7 months ago #27460 by ianmoore
George,
Thanks for the tips! the boat looks great!

We are missing the side-well pieces that go right between those mahogany boards. There are no seats in the boat either. Any recommendations for where to look for those?

Right now we have the center of the floor out in the fore cabin. I think the bilge pump was there. It seems, from reading, that many folks are putting the bilge in the rear of the boat. It would be easiest for us to put it where we already have the floor open. Where do you have yours?

I would love some more detailed photos. Right now my goal is to get the boat mechanically functional and start planning for what i can do for next summer. My father-in-law is a fine carpenter, so I'm hoping to employ his considerable talents when we start plotting that out

Where are you keeping your batteries? I would also love to see how you guys did your accessory panel if you have pics of that. I'm making notes on all of this

Thanks!
Ian

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds