× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #26830 by ianmoore
59 seafair sedan questions was created by ianmoore
Hello folks,
My father-in-law and i inherited a '59 seafair sedan. I have been aggregating information on the boat, which is what led me to this forum. We have a(seemingly original)'59 Evinrude 50 hp and a mostly good hull.
Some of the restorations are amazing, but our goal, at least for now is to clean the boat up, and get it floating before the rains start.
We are starting with the wiring. Does anyone have any type of schematic, or general idea of the wiring that was originally in this boat? I yanked everything out, which was pretty degraded, and have new wire that i am putting in. It would be great to have some general information on the electrical system before we get too far. Also, would love to no any typical improvements that people are making.
Right now we have a simple buss bar with 2 fuses in the back, next to the solenoid. There is a separate buss bar under the steering wheel that is fed directly from the battery, that runs the lights. Is this correct? Seems like it would be a pretty deep drain on the battery..
Anyway, would love any info or tips any of you care to share!
Thanks
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26831 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

First, WELCOME to the site and congrats on your "new" boat!! :woohoo:

There isn't a standard wiring diagram on our Glasspars, since typically each boat was outfitted by the distributor for the buyer or as a typical package they may have offered.

A internet search on basic boat wiring would probably help you more. Lots come into play depending on what accessories you have or planned, single battery or double, etc. Nice place to start because, for what ever reason, every old boat I have seen the wiring is always a rats nest.

How's the hull and transom on your Seafair? Basic safety concerns before getting her back on the water should be looked at, as well.

We love pictures, so please post away!

Again.... WECOME!!

George

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #26833 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at some general wiring diagrams. The electrical system is a bit funky as is. Basically the whole system sits in a small "watertight box" alongside the solenoid in the back of the boat, right next to the splashwell. I am thinking about moving the electronics further to the front of the boat.
The hull is in pretty good shape, and my father in law, who has more boat experience than i do, seems to think the transom is pretty solid as well.
I have a friend coming by today to give the boat a look over. Will report back. I will also post some pics as soon as i can!
Thanks
Ian

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26834 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Hello Ian,

Welcome to the GOA. Yes please post some pictures of your 59 Sedan. I am interested to see it and curious to know where it was built. That information is included in the S/N if you have that.

The wiring on my 59 Sedan when we got her was dry rotted lamp cord and was the first thing I replaced once I got the motor to run.

I added a 4-load fuse block under the helm panel and tied every back to the existing terminal block.

Power is fed from a water tight junction box at the motor well.

I used plastic flex conduit behind the gunnel board and aluminum conduit in the cabin. This is not near original but it got us on the water safely.

Eventually I will restore the original Mercury cable from the control back to the plug in cobra head at the motor.

Thanks,
Terry

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #26836 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Here is what i am working with. We had a pretty frustrating day, with some serious encouragement to ditch the '59 Evinrude. Our goal was to figure out enough about the wiring and electrical system to try to work our way through the functionality of the engine. We were able to get it to turn over, and the compression sounded pretty good, but we were not able to get it to spark. I had a friend over who is pretty handy with engines, and after a few hours of dead ends, he was at a loss.
Does anyone have any ideas of any additional tests on the motor before it becomes a salvage? If i am not getting a spark, am i looking at a rebuild of the coil, or is there some "kill switch" or something that is obvious but we may have possibly missed?
Terry, that looks great! All of our wiring is right by the splash guard with the solenoid..you can see it in the picture. My goal was to probably move this, but after i got the motor going.
Ian

More
5 years 2 months ago #26837 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Hello Ian,

From the pictures it certainly looks like a 59 but the S/N tells us more.
Sorry but all I know is the old Mercury motors and not much more.
More info available@
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/j-e-g-o-s-place

First time I have seen the starter solenoid isolated from the motor as your pictures show.
If you’re going to use that original motor start with narrowing down the proper wiring on that and work off that to the rest of the boat. Although I must say 50 HP is a bit shy of what the Seafair Sedan needs to power it. My Mama Mia! has an 80HP, 1961 Merc "Tower of Power" pushing her and we are happy with that at better than 30 mph.

Some guys run 90HP and 100+ and seem to be even happier.

The Seafairs are true classic boats and in the long run of your restoration, you will not regret the effort.Good Luck bringing back that Sedan.

Terry
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds