× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1960 Seafair Sunliner

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 8 months ago #26435 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
Here are some pictures of the boat as I got it home. I am finding more issues with the boat as I get a better look at it but I will have a better idea of the rework needed when I have more time.

-JR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #26438 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
JR,

That's actually a very clean starting point for your restoration! If I were you, and you were pretty certain hull and transom were safe, I'd stick a motor on her and go get her wet!

Very pretty Glasspar, and hope to see more pics soon! :)

George

P.S. When we redid our Seafair Sedan, I wasn't sure how to get her off the trailer safely, so I laid on my back underneath her for two weeks reworking the hull where the previous owner had beached her too many times. It was truly a drag....but we managed to get it done. :S

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #26441 by Jayarrgh
George,

Thanks for the comments. At this point, I'm not sure of the actual status of the hull and transom. What I do know is that the cockpit sole feels solid and the transom also looks good. However, when I raised the bow up, I got about 5 gallons of fresh water out of the transom drain. Someone cut a hole in the deck by the transom for unknown reasons (in itself this is suspect) and that would have let rainwater into the lower hull. Through this hole, I can see 3 of the stringer ends and they appear solid but the mere presence of standing water makes me question the stringer status farther forward. Worse thing IMHO is that I found a hull repair near the keel forward which was poorly done. I will want to redo that patch (from underneath working upward) as well as open up the deck in the area of the patch to see what needs to be done inside. Raising the boat off the trailer may be necessary to fix the bottom but I can't tell that yet. So there is work to be done but how much remains to be determined. :unsure:

-JR

More
6 years 8 months ago #26446 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
JR:

I agree with George,....it looks like you have a pretty nice Seafair!

When we did the refurbish on our 1960 Seafair Sedan we also had the usual cracks in the gelcoat along with an old style depth gauge that was leaking into the second hull. One crack near the lower part of the transom (right side) was all the way through to the wood and we saw some water in our second hull too. I documented all of this in our thread titled: "Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan" if you want to take a look at it.

Anyway,....my friend Cecil and his Dad did an excellent job in the complete refurbish of the hull and now the boat is watertight with no leaks at all.

Good luck on your repairs Sir!

John_P

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #26795 by Jayarrgh
Teardown: Some good news and some bad news as you might expect on a half century old boat.

The good news is that there was only one small area of dry rot and that was at the apex of the transom where there were two (2) drain plugs for the double bottom area. I will replace that section and keep the rest of the transom which is in good shape. Though I did find a crack in the gelcoat on the portside under the motor mount part of the transom which will have to be fixed. :)

The bad news was that the cockpit sole plywood, which did not have dry rot, was still in bad shape under the fiberglass covering (de-laminating) and was also loose along most of the starboard side. :S I decided to replace it up to the front seats. The forward part of the floor is in good shape so that will remain as is. Taking up the sole allowed me to inspect the stringers which also are ok (more good news).

And then there are the holes. These are holes that I'm pretty sure Glasspar did NOT put in the deck or hull as it left the factory. By actual count there are 219 of them from 1/8 inch up to 3 inches. Most of these will have to be filled, sanded and painted. I'm not counting the holes for the steering gear, gauges, gas filler or the cockpit speakers. Oh, and there are 27 more holes in the splashwell. :ohmy:

Lots of work to keep me busy for sure.

-JR
Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #26799 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
JR:

It looks like you have got a good start on your Seafair Sir! ;)

Very sorry to hear about all the holes you are having to deal with! :(
I honestly do NOT understand why some owners do the things they do to these nice
old classic Glasspars! Thanks for posting the pictures of your work so far.....

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds