× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1960 Seafair Sunliner

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #27132 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
Update on the status of my Sunliner. The cockpit floor is back in with a bilge pump well, the transom has been strengthened and the holes in the stern have been filled.

For the floor I used 5/8ths Hydrotek meranti marine plywood and covered it with 12 oz biaxial fiberglass cloth. The floor is epoxied to the hull, to the stringers and to several cross members connecting the stringers.

Attachment SunlinerProject11.JPG not found

Another piece of Hydrotek was epoxied to the existing transom and tabbed to the hull with a mix of 12oz biaxial cloth and 1708 cloth plus mat. The transom is now 2 5/16" thick. Additionally, I added two "knees" to connect the transom directly to the two stringers which form the sides of the bilge pump well. I have decided to build my own splashwell instead of using the stock piece and these knees will be the base support for the new splashwell. There are two drains in the bilge pump well, one forward from the double hull and one aft overboard.

The holes across the stern have all been filled and that area is ready for painting. I also added an inspection plate between the two front seats which is over the lowest part of the hull. If any water does get into the double hull, it will show up there first if the hull is sitting level.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #27170 by Jayarrgh
A few more pictures just to show that I haven't been idle. Working outside means I have to wait until late in the day to do epoxying or painting. The unusually warm winter days are nice but they really don't get "warm" until afternoon so my work time is limited in more ways than one.

I put some paint on the transom to see what the hull is going to look like eventually.

All the many holes in the deck have been filled in. Painting the deck is on my short list.

Another little job is to cover the gaping holes in the dash. Since the dash is not a flat piece, I will be using multiple pieces of plywood and trying out a different look.

The mahogany piece that Glasspar used on the inside of the coaming aft is actually glued to the molded deck. I was not expecting this. I hoped I could remove it from the boat to refinish it in my shop. As it is stuck there, I am refinishing them in place. Another job on my short list.
Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #27171 by rjcullis
Replied by rjcullis on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
I am waiting for some warmer dryer weather in Canada and then I will be doing exactly what you are doing to your vessel. Your work looks great. Keep the pictures coming they are helping me keep my spirits up as I contemplate what I must do.

Richard

More
6 years 5 months ago #27172 by AlandSandy
Replied by AlandSandy on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
Looking good Jay!

I truly enjoy seeing a Seafair come back to life. Especially when the builder has the passion you have for your Sunliner.

Al

Al and Sandy Wilson
Marque Club Representative ACBS
Glasspar g3 Owners Club
www.g3owners.com

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #27174 by Jayarrgh
Richard,

I don't know what kind of winter you are having but I am happy I live where the climate is technically mild and some outside boat work is possible. I complain about my weather but I'm sure yours is worse. Hang in there, Spring will be here someday, even in Canada.
-JR

More
6 years 5 months ago #27176 by rjcullis
Replied by rjcullis on topic 1960 Seafair Sunliner
I was looking at the ice on one of the rain barrels today (even though the sun was shining)...makes spring seem like a dream...Richard

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds