× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

• imscubaman
  • imscubaman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
5 years 5 months ago #26209 by imscubaman
Replied by imscubaman on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Hi John, and thanks for all the info! I read your thread and saw the boat, all I can say is WOW!! I hope to get mine close to looking as good as yours does in the picture. Even though I was told last time I had mine in the water, that the motor was in top shape, I now wonder, since I only got the top speed of 20mph...with the tanks dry and only 2 of us on board! If a 90hp makes your friends go 40+, then if I do go new, I would probably keep it at the 115 E-TEC.
By the way, how do I measure the motors shaft, so I know what I have what I should get? From what points do I start and stop? I ask because you mention measurements, so I'm hoping to get that info. Thanks again John, and keep the pics coming!!
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #26210 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
measure from the inside top of the mounting bracket (where it would sit on the transom) to the bottom of the cavitation plate. you want that measurement to approximate the measurement on the boat which is from the transom top to the botom of the hull at center. the seafair transom is approx 20 inches so you want a 20 inch motor. a lot of the newer bigger engines are 25 inches or even 30 or more so be careful to get a 20. see attachment for visual aid,
tom
Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #26213 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

imscubaman wrote: Hi John, and thanks for all the info! I read your thread and saw the boat, all I can say is WOW!! I hope to get mine close to looking as good as yours does in the picture. Even though I was told last time I had mine in the water, that the motor was in top shape, I now wonder, since I only got the top speed of 20mph...with the tanks dry and only 2 of us on board! If a 90hp makes your friends go 40+, then if I do go new, I would probably keep it at the 115 E-TEC.
By the way, how do I measure the motors shaft, so I know what I have what I should get? From what points do I start and stop? I ask because you mention measurements, so I'm hoping to get that info. Thanks again John, and keep the pics coming!!
Chris

Chris:

Thanks for your kind words on the "refurbish" of our 1960 Seafair Sedan! ;)
I am sure you can get yours looking great again too. It has taken us a little over a year but we had some legitimate delays during the process. It should be on the water within the next month. BTW,...I will keep the pictures of the Seafair "refurbish" coming. I should have some more by this weekend.

It looks like Tom has given you some great links and photos for measuring the shaft length on the outboard motors. Tom,.....good links and photos Sir! ;)

Chris,....for "reference" I wanted to let you know that with the 1987 Johnson 60 H.P. Outboard that was on our Seafair when we bought it the boat ran about 28 MPH.
That engine was in very good shape and we sold it to a very good friend and fellow Glasspar member here,...namely, Mike Dickson (mindco). Mike installed that motor on his G-3.

John_P

More
5 years 5 months ago #26235 by Seanfromseattle
Replied by Seanfromseattle on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Dig around in the manuals for ratings on the hull and the weights. I've got a 67' I/O rated at 130hp (I think), and she gets up and goes. Except for that I have a tendancy to load her down with too many friends and then we chug along at a little over idle having a nice joy ride. I believe the Seafair hull is rated at 150hp, but you can find that little gem in the manuals. I've thought about converting to Outboard, because I would gain deck space, hp, reliability, quiet, and 4 stroke technology. But yes your transom needs to be in excellent shape for a big motor. But a good boating tip is if the wife want's it, the boat gets it!....

More
5 years 4 months ago #26310 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Chris,
This may help with your original question?
i ran across this by accident the other day, check it out, you will find other good examples there also ...
tom

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #26349 by GeorgeFurtsch
Replied by GeorgeFurtsch on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

I got my 59 Seafair in 87 and ran her in the Pacific between Wilmington and Catalina down to Laguna until 1994. The boat came with a 1968 Merc 125. I traded power for a 100 Mariner in 1993 and it caused the transom to flex when I put it in reverse. I noticed this when I was fishing by the outer oil derick off Huntington beach 15 miles out give or take. The boat did not take on water bur it made be very nervous.I used the two loading straps for trailering to cinch the motor to the scuppers via the rope chalks. I got home ok and after I got her on the trailer, with no water to support it the transom I had (I kid you not) 2 to 3 inches bow at the center without the straps. This was the deciding moment do I attempt to make a repair? I did't know how it was built, I did't have the money to take it to someone for repair. It was either junk it or attempt to do a new transom. I picked the brains of some boat builders in Costa Mesa on Placentia and started. I laminated some marine ply glassed it over with good heavy woven roving I cut the old piece out with a chain saw very carefully and made a template out of the pieces and glassed it in and sealed it with 3M5200. The transom has lasted to today. I found this site in 2001 and saw detailed pictures of what the area I had worked on from the inside. I decided to do a full restoration and redo the splash well to resemble a newer model Seafair and do away with the saddle tanks. with the help of many members of GOA. I have been running a 1974 Merc 115 with great result. I did however make up the weight of no toilet with a bag of sand. If your transom turnes out to be soft you will find help here.

Smooth Sailing
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds