× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

More
4 years 1 month ago #26723 by glassfrompass
glassfrompass replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
well I can personally attest to the Yamaha 90 on this boat, that is what I run. It seems to be just perfect for this boat, performs very nicely. Mine is a used 1993 but in very good shape I think I got lucky after half a season of frequent use no problems.
Best regards and Happy Boating,
tom

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #27277 by Michael B
Michael B replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
I looked and looked for a Yamaha 90 for 10 months and ended up finding a Yamaha 85 that only had a 100 hrs on it in fresh water only so I bought it. It powers the boat great. Nice looking set up you have there!

Mike
Attachments:

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #29692 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
As stated earlier, repower all depends on the floor stringers and the transom core. If all that is solid (?), it'll handle 125HP or there abouts easily enough.

Back when I worked for NOAA Pacific Tide Party (Tidal Surveys), we had a nice Seafair Sedan with twin 55HP Evinrudes as one of our trailer launches. That boat would pretty much fly. It would plane with one motor.

I have often debated finding a Seafair Sedan. I really like the boat. But I'm doing a Citation instead ...

An 85HP OMC (Johnson or Evinrude) should push that boat to 30+ I'd be looking into that engine for sure. I suspect you have low compression, or it needs a full tune-up and the timing reset ... With light fuel and only two aboard it should be tach'ing over 5,600 and pretty much moving right along ...

That's a "Gen II" version of the V4 with the improved crankcase so it made more power than the original Gen I (the Fat Fifty). It was still not the best of the OMC V4's, but it was a decent motor. It can suffer from carbon'd up rings (stuck) and be showing low compression. Or it may just be tired...

Unless you want to keep it "historically correct" I'd be looking for a newer motor with through hub exhaust. There are a bazillion V4 OMC's out there in the used market. A good 115 with known good compression will push that boat to 40'ish.

If you do want to keep it period correct, there are a lot of tweaks you can do to that engine to perk it right up :whistle: An all original period correct boat/motor combo is pretty rare today. It's something to think about ...

Send me an email at woodlund at comcast dot net, and I'll send you what I have on the history and tweaks for the old V4 :)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com