× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

More
4 years 8 months ago #26354 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Nice to see you on the board, George! :cheer:

The other George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #26386 by glassfrompass
glassfrompass replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Here's another one with etec, on craigslist ...
tom

Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #26544 by glassfrompass
glassfrompass replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
here's a guy who had put a 115 4-stroke on one. but he has reinforced the transom with stainless steel plates and put fuel tank forward to compensate the weight ...

seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/3878764652.html

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #26581 by cfairbearcat
cfairbearcat replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Hi, 20mph with 85 HP seems very low. Does your full throttle RPM meet rated HP RPM?
Has the speed always been this low? If so, you may have a propeller problem.
I have a 70 HP force on my seafair sedan and she tops out at 30 MPH and cruises nicely at 20 MPH with just 3500 RPM. From the sedans I've seen here in Florida, Most have outboards of 115 HP or less.
I Originally had a Homelite Bearcat 55 HP 4 stroke on my boat but it was a little underpowered and would only do about 20 MPH, so I change to the 70 HP Force.
Regards, Bob P.
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #26683 by Charlie Tuna
Charlie Tuna replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
OK this my first post so be gentle.

I have owned this "new" sedan for three days and I am tired of the motor. It came with 1974 115 Merc "tower of power". I think I have that sold and am going to re-power with something more efficient. I don't want to spend 10k on a motor I just want to get out and back on the salt at a reasonable speed with a couple of adults, some fish and beer.

This whole 2stroke 4 stroke discussion has got me spinning. I have always (in my previous life) been an Evinrude man but am now leaning towards the yamaha 90.

As I start tearing her down I am sure that there will be pictures and questions. this fall I just want to fish a little before further restoration.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #26685 by John_P
John_P replied the topic: Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
floatindawg:

First off,....Welcome to the website Sir! ;)

I just went through a similar situation to you with our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan.
We bought the boat two years ago and it came with a 1987 Johnson 60 HP which was in very good shape but would only push the boat about 28-29 MPH. :(

Some good friends of ours had a Seafair Sedan with a Mercury 90 H.P. Two-Stroke and it performed very well.

Posted below is a picture of our Seafair with a NOS (new old stock) Mercury 90 just like our friends had which pushes our Seafair over 40 MPH. We purchased it from
"Bass Pro Shops" when they were trying to purge all of their current carbureted two-
stroke engines last year. We got a heck of a deal on that motor!!

I think your choice of a Yamaha 90 is a good decision. Post some pictures when you get the new engine on and welcome aboard Sir! :(

John_P

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds