× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?

• imscubaman
  • imscubaman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
5 years 3 months ago #26198 by imscubaman
Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair? was created by imscubaman
Ok, I have a 1959 Glasspar Searfair Sedan. It has a 1968 Evinrude Starflite X 85 HP motor. The motor of that year was around 300lbs. I'm thinking of going "new", either an Evinrude E-TEC 115HP, 130HP, or maybe even 150HP. The newer 115HP is about 375lbs, (less than 100 over what I have now) and the 150HP is over 400lbs, OVER 100lbs of what I have now! Other than the obvious weight issues, can the transom area of the 1959 Glasspar handle the increase in torque/stress? Anyone know? As much as i like my old 1968 Evirude, its just not powerful enough for a boat like this. I was told a few times many years ago, by a boat mechanic, that I could go up to a 115HP, but never knew if that was really true or not. At that time nobody knew anything about my boat it seemed! Anybody here have an answer that can be backed up? The last thing I wanna do is take a chance on hurting anyone in the boat, and damaging it as well!! Any help is appreciated, thanks!--Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26199 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Hi Chris,
I think on a 54 year old boat, the answer to that type of question has to be dependent on the condition of your transom. You didn’t mention the condition of your transom, do you know what kind of condition the core is in?

If the transom has never been rebuilt, after 54 years you may be lucky that the existing motor is still on there. If the boat has been left out in natures environment for 54 years, and if the boat has had the typical several outboards drilled and installed during its lifetime, depending on the quality of the installation, other devices drilled and mounted etc etc etc, the transom core may be soaked/rotted in which case you would not want to hang a 150 on it.

However, if it has been well cared for, i.e. stored inside, not allowed to sit wet, well-sealed or reinforced etc, or properly rebuilt, it may be in perfectly fine shape and able to handle a larger/heavier outboard. Hard for me to imagine though that 85hp is not sufficient.

I run a 90hp 2-stroke Yamaha (260lbs) and the performance is great. I know people hang larger/heavier outboards on these boats with fine results, but I also know that others run 50hp with acceptable performance. Keep a close monitor on the condition of the transom no matter what outboard you have on there.

Hope this helps a little?
tom

• imscubaman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
5 years 3 months ago #26204 by imscubaman
Replied by imscubaman on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Thanks for the info Tom! The transom was in great shape the last time I had the boat out...which was 15 years ago, there abouts. It's been keep inside in a storage facility fr the last 15 years, and we have an outdoor facility that we have rented a spot from that has 24 access that we're going to use this summer. After summer it goes right back to the indoor storage. Other than the summer, it has always been stored indoor, since I got it in the mid 80's. Anyhow, we decided that this year we will make the time to take it out and work on it! I don't recall any other drilling holes from previous motors, but I do remember one crack on the outter fiberglass area, by the back of the motor, small, but I always kept an eye on it. I planned on doing some fiberglass work, and pulling up the floor this year to make sure everything is "ship shape" as they say, especially after 15 years. The motor that's on there now, barely got the boat up to 20 MPH, even though it was in top running condition. It will be a challange to even get it running this year!! My wife is pushing for a new motor, so we'll see what happens.
Thanks for getting back to me, and all your info, I appreciate it!

More
5 years 3 months ago #26205 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
it will be interesting to see what you find when you pull up the floor, only 20mph with an 85 it must either be waterlogged or there is something seriously wrong with that engine - it's only a thousand pound boat.
tom

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #26207 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Chris:

Welcome to the website Sir! ;) That looks like a nice Seafair you have.

My Wife and I have a 1960 Seafair Sedan that we are almost finished doing a complete refurbish on. See my thread titled: "Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan" for reference if you want to.

We are going to install a new Mercury 90 H.P. Two-Stroke on our boat within the next few weeks. Our Seafair previously had a Johnson 60 H.P. but would just not push the boat along very well. Some very good friends of ours also had a Seafair Sedan with the Merc 90 and it pushed their boat along at 40+ MPH. The Merc 90 weighs 303 lbs. and our friends had no problems with their transom or anything but they had completely restored the boat too.

I looked at some of the motors you mentioned, specifically the "Evinrude E-Tecs" which I hear are very good motors. However, the are heavy. The Evinrude E-Tec 115 HP
with a 20" lower unit weighs 375 pounds. The Evinrude E-Tec 130 H.P. weighs 390 pounds and the 150 H.P. E-Tec weighs in at a very portly 418 Pounds! :laugh:

If you go that big, I would make very sure my transom was in excellent shape.
I know of one member here (mtdoragary), namely Gary Simpson that I believe has a 150 H.P. on his Seafair Sedan, however, he did a complete restoration of that boat too.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your decision. Once I get the new Merc 90 on our Seafair I will get a report up for you and the other members.

John_P

• imscubaman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
5 years 3 months ago #26208 by imscubaman
Replied by imscubaman on topic Bigger motor for my 1959 Glasspar Seafair?
Hmmm....always wondered what the boat weighed! How fast should I be going with the 85hp Evinrude? Any idea? But yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the inside after the floor is pulled up as well! The only time we got 20mph was when the tanks we're almost empty, and there was only 2 of us on board, lol! Thanks again Tom!!

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds