× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Refurbish Of Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat (2009)

• John_P
  • John_P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23823 by John_P
C:\fakepath\DSC_0367.JPG

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23824 by John_P
Photo of the transom after much of the fiberglass was almost done:

These photos show the bad condition of the splashwell. We had to repair cracks inside the splashwell as well as on the top edge where the motors were sitting. However, this is the ONLY part of the red deck/gelcoat that had to be repainted. The original "pulley and cable steering" was removed and replaced with a new Teleflex
"Bay Star" Hydraulic Steering System which we are very pleased with.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23825 by John_P
Photo of the splashwell AFTER it was repaired and reinstalled in our G-3. If you look at the top edge of the transom you will see a new billet aluminum plate there. Our original aluminum trim there was in very poor shape and could not be saved. My good welding/fabricator and boat layup/repair friend, Pete Pucella designed and fabricated the billet aluminum plate and we installed it before the motor was installed.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #23826 by John_P
As with all Glasspar G-3 Skiboats, we were concerned about the condition of the transom as Glasspar did not fiberglass over to the top edge of the transom. After removal of the splashwell, my boat tech/builder and fabricator friend Pete took a sander and we took some of the inside and outside surfaces down to the wood. We found that the original transom was in fact in very good shape with no wood rot all! :) These surfaces were later filled and fiberglassed very thoroughly. I realize that we were VERY lucky to have a G-3 transom in such good shape and I credit that to my Dads insistence that our G-3 was NEVER left in the water or outside in the rain!

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #23833 by John_P
This photo shows the condition of the G-3's inside floor. Unfortunately, my step-brother had taken a gallon of white Imron and painted over the nice "Zolatone" finish that came originally in these Glasspar Boats.

Photo of the boat AFTER the inside was repainted with "Zolatone":

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23834 by John_P
Photo of the original "Airguide" Speedometer and the chrome plated backing plate. The boat was also completely rewired with new marine grade wire and wire accessories.

Picture of the new "Mercury Marine" Speedometer and Tachometer installed with the billet aluminum backing plate designed and fabricated AGAIN by my good friend Pete at "Forged" Custom Metal Fabrication and Welding. Pete and I did all of the sanding and fiberglass work on this refurbish and I sincerely want to thank him for all of his excellent work and guidance on this boat! For your information, Pete went to tech school for three years on boat building and worked in the well respected boat builder here in eastern N.C. by the name of "Onslow Bay Boats." They specialize in building high end center deck off-shore fiberglass fishing boats.

The white padding on the dash of the boat is also original to our G-3.

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds