× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Refurbish Of Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat (2009)

• John_P
  • John_P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #23835 by John_P
While it is somewhat hard to see, this photo is the BEFORE picture of the red gelcoat as it looked when we got the boat. Although not in bad shape at all, it did need polishing and buffing. Pete had alot of experience in doing this and with his help we used a fairly new product at that time called "3M Restorer and Wax." We used a combination of his air powered polishers as well as a common auto buffer/polisher.
This buffing/polishing really brought out the color in the gelcoat and brightened it up alot. Not bad for an original gelcoat finish that is over FIFTY(50)YEARS old! :ohmy:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #23836 by John_P
This is the "3M Product" Pete and I used on the red gelcoat:

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23843 by John_P
This is a photo of the 1964 Mercury 65 H.P. Outboard that was on our G-3 when we got it. After we removed the motor, I had a Certified Mercury Outboard Technician thoroughly check out the engine for me to ascertain the exact condition of the motor.
He found that the powerhead was bad and the lower shaft to the prop also broken. I talked extensively with my friend Pete as well as my fellow classicglasspar members
and friends, Al Wilson (classicsandy) and Mike Dickson (mindco) about installing a new or newer outboard motor on our G-3. Mike Dickson (mindco) had installed a new Mercury 90 H.P. Two-Stroke on his Glasspar Seafair Sedan and was very pleased with it. Through these conversations, we decided to buy and install a new Mercury Two-Stroke Outboard on our G-3. We purchased this NOS (new old stock) 2009 Mercury 50 H.P. Two-Stroke Carbureted Outboard Motor from "Bass Pro Shops" at a greatly reduced price and the sales experience with them was excellent. They still have several of these NOS Mercury 50 H.P. Outboards in their massive U.S. inventory. The motor also came with a full Mercury Warranty.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23844 by John_P
The next dilemma I ran into was how to mount the new Mercury 50 H.P. Outboard on the
G-3's 15 1/2" transom when the new motor has a 20" lower unit. I knew from the beginning that I did not want to build the transom up because I like the "natural lines" of the G-3. I received alot of erroneous advice on this jackplate issue. To give the members some idea of what I was told, here is an example of one piece of advice I recieved on another boating website:

___________________________________________________________________________________
"I would not even consider doing what you are planning to do on stock 15" transom.
The low freeboard, extra weight of the newer engine and the lever effect of all that weight and power sticking five (5) inches above the transom sound like a recipe for disaster."
_________________________________________________________________________________

Luckily, I was able to contact another classicglasspar member by the name of Kevin Sweeney who has two (2) Glasspar G-3 Skiboats BOTH with "Bob's Machine" Hydraulic Jackplates. I called Kevin and talked extensively with him about these jackplates and he was very pleased with them and saw no "down side" to installing one. I want to sincerely thank Kevin for his time, patience and advice on this issue. We are very happy with this jackplate and as it turns out ALL of the "doomsday" advice I got was FALSE! The hydraulic jackplate helps the takeoff and top speed of our G-3 in addition to allowing you to raise the motor without having to lift it in very shallow water. For what it is worth, the actual "level" of the jackplate is only about two (2) inches up from it's lowest point to have the lower "skeg" of the motor level with the bottom of the boat.

I would highly recommend this set-up to any member that wants to keep their 15 1/2" transom but wants one of the newer 20" outboards. ;)

Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23846 by AlandSandy
Replied by AlandSandy on topic Refurbish Of Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat (2009)
Great article John, Your g3 is truley a treasure. We are looking forward to boating with you once again next week end. - Al

Al and Sandy Wilson
Marque Club Representative ACBS
Glasspar g3 Owners Club
www.g3owners.com

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 4 months ago #23850 by John_P

classicsandy wrote: Great article John, Your g3 is truley a treasure. We are looking forward to boating with you once again next week end. - Al

Thanks alot Al! ;) You and Mike were a big help to me on the refurbish that's for sure.
I know I probably "wore you out" with all the phone calls I made to you over that period.

Sharon and I are looking forward to next weekend buddy!

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.548 seconds