× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Refurbish Of Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat (2009)

• John_P
  • John_P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23809 by John_P
I wanted the classicglasspar members to also see the history, photos and information of the refurbish we did on our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat. This work was done back in 2009. I was not sure if it was proper to post it here for the members since the work had already been done IN 2009. So,.....I decided to check with Moderator George Bell and he said it would be fine to do even though we had already done the work.

I did not post this earlier here on the website because at the time my Wife and I did not have the photo computer software to properly post the photos. I know how the photos "enhance" and add to the thread and story, so for those reasons I did not post a thread on this.

HISTORY:

Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 was purchased new from a Glasspar Dealer in Green Bay,
Wisconsin by the name of "Denis Sport Shop." The boat was initially rigged with a 1960 Johnson 40 H.P. Outboard Motor. My older Brother Dick was very tall (6'5") and very well built. After the first try at water skiing, it was evident that the little Johnson 40 H.P. was NOT going to do the job in pulling my Brother! :laugh: At that point, my Dad traded in the 1960 Johnson 40 H.P. for a 1960 Johnson 75 H.P. This motor did a great job in pulling my Brother and the entire family! I learned to water ski behind this boat with my Dad and Brothers help and how to drive and navigate it later at our old cottage in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin.

When my Brother Dick left home to attend college, he left the G-3 for my younger Brother David and I to use. I used it until I graduated from high school and left home to join the Air Force. At that point, my younger Brother David used the G-3 until he graduated and left home to attend technical school. After he left my Dad and our half-brother Mike and step-brother Jay used the boat.

Around 1975, the 1960 Johnson 75 H.P. Outboard finally quit running and my Dad replaced it with a used Mercury 65 H.P.Outboard. That was the motor that was on the boat when I got the G-3.

In 2000, my Dad passed away and left the G-3 in his will to my Brother David and me.
David lived in Minnesota and already had a nice Hurricane Deck Boat so he told me to go and get the boat. My Wife and I drove from N.C. to Wisconsin to get the G-3 which had been stored inside a garage at my aunts house. The garage was covered, as well as the boat with a thick canvas tarp, but the garage was on the side of a hill and water leaked in to the floor in the springtime when the snow was melting. As a result of this, the original yellow "Gator" Trailer was rusted and in very bad shape. Before we left Wisconsin, we bought a NOS (new old stock) "Shorelander" Trailer for the G-3 and drove back to N.C.

We have found over the last three years that one owner/one family Glasspar Boats seem to be very rare.

What I will do in this thread is show the BEFORE and AFTER condition of our G-3 during the refurbish with explanations of what was done during the work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #23812 by John_P
This is a photo of our G-3 BEFORE the refurbish. If you look closely at this picture you will see that the two "C-Cleats" on the red deck, just above the registration numbers were missing. These were originally made by "Jervis-Allen Marine" and I had a hard time finding replacements. Another Glasspar Owner had some but would not sell me just the "C-Cleats." To get the "C-Cleats" I also had to buy two (2) stern grab handles, a large rope cleat and a "Jervis Allen" Bow Grab Handle which I did not need.
That hardware cost me over $200.00! :ohmy: So,...if you are restoring an older G-3 or Glasspar Boat be aware that the hardware that originally came on these boats is sometimes hard to find and can be expensive.

Photo of our G-3 AFTER the refurbish:

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #23818 by John_P
This photo shows the bad condition of the seats when we got the G-3. However, we did have the the original Glasspar G-3 Seat Brackets and the original wood seat bottoms and back. Mildew is visible on the seats of the boat and we also found spotting like this on the fiberglass which I will cover later in this thread.
These seat brackets seem to be very hard to find.

Photo of the new upholstered seats after they were done by Tommy and Jessica Salter at "Salters Marine Canvas and Upholstery." We used a high grade marine upholstery on the new seats along with new padding.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #23819 by John_P
Photo of the rear passenger compartment showing the original Glasspar Pad that came with our G-3 when my Dad purchased it. I have been told that Glasspar did not offer a pad like this with their G-3 Skiboats but our G-3 had it from the day it was new.

The new pad:

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #23821 by John_P
Picture of the transom after we received the boat and the 1964 Mercury 65 H.P. was removed. Our G-3 had THREE (3)outboard motors on it before we got it which accounts for the number of bolt holes you see. During the transom work, we used "Fiberfill" by Evercoat to fill and fix these holes along with re-fiberglassing all surfaces along with the top of the transom.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 6 months ago #23822 by John_P
C:\fakepath\DSC_0368.JPG

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds