× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan

• John_P
  • John_P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23612 by John_P
John_P created the topic: Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan
Last summer, my Wife and I purchased a 1960 Seafair Sedan in Michigan. This Seafair had been taken very good care of and had actually been stored in an old barn for over twenty (20) years. However, the original trailer was in bad shape and we towed the boat on a flatbed from Michigan to N.C. Here is a picture of the boat on our flatbed as
we left Michigan late last summer.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23613 by John_P
John_P replied the topic: Re: Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan
Once we got our Seafair Sedan home, we thoroughly cleaned the boat, and of course got a nice new aluminum "EZ Loader" Trailer for it. We also had a new bimini top made for it as the original bimini top was in bad shape.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23614 by John_P
We also spent time buffing and polishing the gelcoat and had good results with "3M Restorer and Wax." The metal rails on the top of the cabin also got some elbow grease and polishing using "Mothers Billet Aluminum" Polish. I have used alot of different polishes on trucks, cars and boats and have to say that in my opinion this is one of if not THE BEST metal polishes I have ever used.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23615 by John_P
Over the winter we removed the 1987 Johnson 60 H.P. Outboard and just recently sold that to another classicglasspar Member. We also removed all the trim, screws, corner supports etc. from around the splashwell in preparation of removing that splashwell to thoroughly inspect the transom. We also had a new lower brass drain plug installed as I believe the old original Glasspar Plug was leaking some.

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23617 by John_P
As with most all early Glasspar Boats, I was concerned about the condition of the transom. We also have a 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat which was bought new by my Dad and luckily that transom and boat had been garage kept and away from water exposure its entire life. I was hopeful that our "new to us" 1960 Seafair Sedan would look like our G-3 Transom did and thankfully,.....it was!! :cheer: I was very pleased to see how great the wood looked in this transom. Once I wiped away some dirt and dust even the original "Zolatone" looked good.

Here are some pictures of how it looked:

A closer photo:

Attachments:

• John_P
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #23618 by John_P
This will be the next step in the refurbish of our Seafair Sedan. This picture shows cracks along the lower edge of the transom. There are a few more like this on the sides and bottom. Over the next two weeks myself and my experienced marine restoration buddies will get to work sanding, fiberglassing and repairing the entire bottom and sides of the boat. These are the same guys that did such a great job on our G-3.

More info and pictures to follow............

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds