× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Bill Tritt Tribute

• gwbell
  • gwbell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
More
6 years 5 months ago #18187 by gwbell
gwbell created the topic: Bill Tritt Tribute
You may or not know that Bill Tritt recently passed away on 25 March 2011. Bill was 93 and had been having health issues for the last couple of years. He was also one of the last classic boat builders alive and with his passing, so goes the end of an era.

Back in the 1940's, Bill started designing and building fiberglass boats. His passions lead to the establishment of the Glasspar Corporation which became one of largest producers of fiberglass boats at the time. Later Bill designed and built one of the first fiberglass cars, the G-2. One of Bill's G-2's can still be seen at the Smithsonian Institute. This design sparked the interest of others, and Bill helped design the first fiberglass cars in Disneyland's Autotopia ride, the Volvo P1900, and consulted with the initial designs of the Corvette.

Many of us still enjoy these boats and cars today. The Glasspar Owners Association ( www.ClassicGlasspars.com ) is organizing a letter writing campaign to convey to Bill's family the affect of his work will continue to live on as his legacy. We're asking that a simple note be sent to the family with a picture of you and your Glasspar boat/car. The family is familiar with Bill's designs, but seeing the pictures of the total strangers that Bill's life has affected should offer some comfort that Bill will not be forgotten.

I do not feel comfortable posting their home address on the web, but will provide to those that email me directly. My apologies to those that visit other websites and see this redundant post. We would like to get the word out to as many Glasspar owners as possible.

Thank you for your help on this effort!

George
five dot bells at verizon dot net

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #18201 by grijalvaet
grijalvaet replied the topic: Re: Bill Tritt Tribute
Hello George,
I am happy to say that I contacted Greg Tritt, had a good contact with him. It seems that Grag and Matt are doing very well.
Eddie Grijalva.

• gwbell
  • gwbell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
More
6 years 5 months ago #18202 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Re: Bill Tritt Tribute
I'm glad to hear that Eddie!

A note from you, I'm sure, would be very special to the family. If you could try to track down your fellow Glasspar employees to join in this letter writing campaign, it would be appreciated.

You have Bill's address, correct?

George

• glassparman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #18604 by glassparman
glassparman replied the topic: Re: Bill Tritt Tribute
OMGoodness! I did not hear the news! It's a very sad day. I will create a tribute image for our front page to rotate through the header.

Bill was a true artist.

Michael

More
2 years 10 months ago #27809 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Bill Tritt Tribute
I came across a series of four articles about Bill Tritt published on the event of his passing. The stories are of his early boat designing and boat building activities leading to the formation of the Glasspar company. :) These articles are basically excerpts from Daniel Spurr's book Heart of Glass. I found the story fascinating, particularly where he describes his first commercial boat (called the Green Dolphin) and how he made a resin/putty mix. (From the second article in the series) "We mixed sanding dust and bits of the dirt chicken house floor with resin for putty – a far cry from today’s cure-all Bondo. Our secret ingredient was chicken feathers – a residual bonus, along with the invasive droppings on the floor." :laugh:

www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?s=Bill+Trit...iberglass+Visionary+

Pardon me if this has been posted before ... (I can't search the posts).

-JR

More
2 years 10 months ago #27819 by Matthew
Matthew replied the topic: Bill Tritt Tribute
Yes. And working for dad at Hudson River Boat Company (after Glasspar) we used CHOPPED ASBESTOS FIBERS instead of chicken poop as a filler. And nobody even used dust masks.

I attempted buying the Green Dolphin in Santa Barbara (where I lived for many years) that had belonged to John Green we had sailed in the late 40's, but wasn't quick enough coming back from the bank. For those of you that don't already know, these boats were male molded, each one having to be sanded down to create a proper surface for painting. LOTS of work!

Matt Tritt

Matt

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com